It's been an unusual birthday. Because Troy and I are moving tomorrow, I've been packing. All day. With some lovely phone calls to steal me from the tower of boxes I've created. You'd think packing alone all day would be an awful way to spend a special day, but in fact, I've quite enjoyed it.
After two months of a schedule so full that I barely had time to breathe, a day at home alone with no where to go has been water on the dry ground of my soul. I've listened to some of my favorite music, checked my facebook periodically to get the latest "happy birthday" greetings from people who would normally never know it's my birthday, and have enjoyed a few still moments of silence.
And, unexpectedly, packing has proved to be a very appropriate birthday activity. It's quite nostalgic and reflective. So many memories behind each piece of furniture or decoration. I so appreciate the idea of engaging mentally in all big life changes, and I think packing has helped me celebrate the last 29 years of my life.
Of course, all of this packing and processing has purpose for the future ahead. A new home. The final year of my 20's. A fresh new season that Troy and I can create entirely out of our personalities, based on the leading of the Lord. I'm looking forward with much gratefulness and expectation.
I, as always, find myself overwhelmed with the richness Troy and I have in our friendships. If they measured wealth by the sorts of friends a person has, we'd be the wealthiest people on earth!

No comments:
Post a Comment